Sunday, August 10, 2008

Five legal ways to migrate to the USA

In the face of our country’s seemingly endless economic turmoil, more and more Filipinos are finding the means to feed their families by going abroad as OFWs. The US is always at the top of the list of places where Filipinos would want to migrate to. In the past years, many immigrants have chosen different ways in which to migrate to the US. A substantial number took their chances and went through the back door, only to have US Immigration crack down on them and send them back to where they came from. It is not impossible to migrate to the US, but it would be a hard and time-intensive task. In essence, it is doable for those willing to put in the time and sustained effort.

Here is a list of the legal ways to migrate to the US:

1. The US embassy is stricter in issuing immigrant visas than they are when giving out tourist or non-immigrant visas. Since it would be easier to enter the US under a tourist visa, once there, you can offer your skills and services to potential employers who are willing to sponsor you and make it possible for you to officially migrate to the US with a work visa. Most Filipinos are resorting to migrate to the US using this scheme as it would mean a lesser waiting period for them. There are a many job agencies in California that offer jobs where there employer is willing to be a visa sponsor.

2. There are a lot of Filipino industries that are expanding their operations in the US and other countries. You may have a chance to migrate to the US if you get to be one of those individuals who can be sent to start up an American desk of your company. This is called an L Visa or intracompany transfer visa. The great thing about this visa is that you can take your whole immediate family with you.

3. You can also migrate to the US via the fiancee visa if you are lucky in finding that special American or Fil-Am someone online. However, you have to be cautious when it comes to looking for love online. You may want to correspond to these people via live chats through web cam instead of signing up in dating sites. Do a thorough background check to make sure that they are as unattached as you are to ensure your safety when you do get to migrate to the US. Yahoo’s webcam and dating channel is a good way to find singles in the US looking to meet friends the world over.

4. You can also migrate to the US by applying for a college student visa, as many colleges and universities offer scholarships for foreigners. Once in the US, you can get an intern job and a sponsorship from a company that would then process it into a working visa. After a few years, you may officially migrate to the US. by applying for a green card.

5. Of course, one of the almost sure-fire ways to migrate to the US is having an immediate relative such as your parent or sibling there sponsor you. This method is probably the longest and hardest way to migrate to the US as it is subject to more restrictions and policies and could take years to process. If you are a married adult child of a petitioner, the wait could be decades. If the petitioner is your sibling, the wait is even longer!

Credit to

No comments: